Welcome to www.mcfarlanewines.com (“the Website”). The Website is owned and operated by McFarlane Wines, a South African company (“McFarlane Wines”, “we”, “us” or “our”).
We recognise the importance of privacy and the protection of personal information provided to it and are committed to safeguarding such information in terms of the Protection of Personal Information Act 4 of 2013 (“POPIA”).
Collection of Information
When you visit the Site, we automatically collect certain information about your device, including information about your web browser, IP address, time zone, and some of the cookies that are installed on your device. Additionally, as you browse the Site, we collect information about the individual web pages or products that you view, what websites or search terms referred you to the Site, and information about how you interact with the Site. We refer to this automatically-collected information as “Device Information.”
We collect Device Information using the following technologies:
- “Cookies” are data files that are placed on your device or computer and often include an anonymous unique identifier. For more information about cookies, and how to disable cookies, visit http://www.allaboutcookies.org.
- “Log files” track actions occurring on the Site, and collect data including your IP address, browser type, Internet service provider, referring/exit pages, and date/time stamps.
- ”Web beacons,” “tags,” and “pixels” are electronic files used to record information about how you browse the Site.
Additionally when you make a purchase or attempt to make a purchase through the Site, we collect certain information from you, including your name, billing address, shipping address, payment information (including credit card numbers, email address, and phone number. We refer to this information as “Order Information.” We do not store any credit numbers and information – all this information is handled by our payment gateway.
How do we use your personal information?
We use the Order Information that we collect to fulfil any orders placed through the Site (including processing your payment information (using SSL encryption), arranging for possible shipping, and providing you with invoices and/or order confirmations).
Additionally, we use this Order Information to:
- Administer the Site;
- Communicate with you;
- Screen our orders for potential risk or fraud; and
- When in line with the preferences you have shared with us, provide you with information or advertising relating to our products or services.
- To comply with legal or regulatory obligations.
- For the purposes of marketing and promoting McFarlane Wines.
- Improve your browsing experience by personalising the Site.
- Send you general (non-marketing) commercial communications.
- Send you email notifications which you have specifically requested.
- Send to you newsletters that you have subscribed to by accepting our Terms & Conditions on checkout on the Site.
We use the Device Information that we collect to help us screen for potential risk and fraud (in particular, your IP address), and more generally to improve and optimize our Site (for example, by generating analytics about how our customers browse and interact with the Site, and to assess the success of our marketing and advertising campaigns).
Sharing your personal information
We use Google Analytics to help us understand how our customers use the Site:
- You can read more about how Google uses your Personal Information here: https://www.google.com/intl/en/policies/privacy/.
- You can also opt-out of Google Analytics here: https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout.
Finally, we may also share your Personal Information to comply with applicable laws and regulations, to respond to a subpoena, search warrant or other lawful request for information we receive, or to otherwise protect our rights.
As described above, we may use your Personal Information to provide you with targeted advertisements or marketing communications we believe may be of interest to you. For more information about how targeted advertising works, you can visit the Network Advertising Initiative’s (“NAI”) educational page at http://www.networkadvertising.org/understanding-online-advertising/how-does-it-work.
You can opt out of targeted advertising by:
- FACEBOOK – https://www.facebook.com/settings/?tab=ads
- GOOGLE – https://www.google.com/settings/ads/anonymous
Additionally, you can opt out of some of these services by visiting the Digital Advertising Alliance’s opt-out portal at: http://optout.aboutads.info/.
Do not track
Please note that we do not alter our Site’s data collection and use practices when we see a Do Not Track signal from your browser.
Transfer of personal information
Personal information collected by McFarlane Wines may be transferred to persons in other countries. Those countries’ laws might not protect personal information in the same way or on the same level as the law in the data subject’s country. However, we will take reasonable steps to ensure that recipients in other countries have appropriate privacy measures in place.
- If you are in the European Economic Area (EEA), information which you provide may be transferred to countries, including the United States, Japan which do not have data protection laws equivalent to those in force in the EEA.
- You expressly agree to such transfers of personal information.
Retention of personal information
When you place an order and/or purchase a ticket to participate in “The Hunt” through the Site, we will maintain your Order Information for our records unless and until you ask us to delete this information. McFarlane Wines retains your personal information for the period reasonably necessary to satisfy the purpose for which it was collected or as long as necessary to comply with legal obligations or for the establishment, exercise, or defense of a legal claim.
Limitation of liability
McFarlane Wines has implemented reasonable steps to protect the personal information it collects from loss, misuse, unauthorised access, disclosure, alteration, and destruction. However, we cannot guarantee the full security of your personal information and your personal information is provided at your own risk. We will not be liable for any loss, misuse, or compromise of your personal information.
With regard to any personal information that you provide to McFarlane Wines, regardless of whether that personal information relates to you or a third party, you hereby represent and warrant to McFarlane Wines that (i) such personal information is accurate and complete, (ii) you have the lawful basis to provide that information to us; and (iii) you have provided this privacy notice to, and received consent from, any third party whose personal information you have provided to us.
We may send marketing and promotional communications and material to Users. Recipients may opt out from receiving such communications by contacting us at the details provided below or by using the opt-out and/or unsubscribe links provided in electronic marketing communication.
The law might provide Users with rights to access, amend or delete personal information that is in the possession of McFarlane Wines. However, we may, in certain instances, legally refuse or decline such requests. If applicable, a User may also have the right to object McFarlane Wines processing of their personal information or to file a complaint with a regulator. If a User wishes to exercise their rights, they can contact us at the details provided below.
Users are encouraged to contact us in order to update their personal information as and when necessary.
Third party websites
The website may contain links to other websites. We are not responsible for the privacy policies or practices of third party websites.
For more information about our privacy practices, if you have questions, or if you would like to make a complaint, please contact us by e-mail at email@example.com.